Appeals & Post-Conviction Relief

Kidd & Urling will continue to fight for you if you or your loved one has been convicted of a serious crime, in Ohio or Federal court. If you feel that you have been unjustly convicted or given an unfair sentence, convictions and sentencing can often be appealed.

In Ohio, there are a number of options for post-conviction remedies available for people who have been convicted of crimes. We can also represent you at parole hearings and defend you against allegations of probation violations.

If you feel you have been unjustly convicted, you may have grounds for an appeal. While an appeal will not necessarily result in a lesser sentence or a new trial, it is an opportunity to ask a higher court to review your conviction based on legal mistakes, such as misconduct by the jury or prosecutor, improper or incompetent representation by your trial attorney, or mistakes in procedure. Similarly, if legal mistakes were made in your case, you may have grounds to appeal for a lower sentence.

Kidd & Urling also represents clients in post-conviction petitions in Ohio courts and with federal habeas corpus petitions concerning violations of constitutional rights. We can file a federal habeas petition after a direct appeal in a state court has been denied.

More Practice Areas